At a glance: Hey,
it’s Vanessa W. McIntosh, 26 years old, a Bahamian. Her major is Political Science
& International Relations.
Please introduce us Vanessa before s/he comes to Korea? Could you briefly describe
your daily life in your hometown as well?
After
graduating from college, unlike most of my other colleagues, I decided not to
pursue a job at one of the media houses in the capital city. To some, it
probably seemed like a risky decision, but I wanted some time to clear my head
so that I could properly decide the best way forward. I moved back to my quiet island
hometown. During that time, I worked freelance creating captions and completing
data entry work. I later took an opportunity to work as a Human Resource
Officer at an international Chinese-owned construction company that was
completing a project on the island. My shoes were dusty at the end of each work
day, but there was definitely a certain joy in being able to help others to
thrive as best they could in their own working environment.
During
my free time, one could often find me in church at singing or piano practice;
otherwise, I would be on my computer editing something in Audition or
Photoshop, or just catching up on the latest Korean dramas.
What made you decide to study in Korea?
About nine years
ago, lost in the suggested-video black hole of YouTube, I stumbled across a
Korean movie titled ‘A Millionaire’s First Love’ (백만장자의 첫사랑). After
watching the movie, I found that I wanted to know more about this language I
had never heard before; so, I started to search out dramas produced in Korea. At
the time, I knew nothing about the Hallyu-wave or the ever-growing KPOP fandoms.
I simply enjoyed the storyline of the movie and I thought the language sounded
beautiful. As a result, I gained a
sincere interest in Korean language and culture through entertainment media. I
vowed to travel to Korea one day to experience the language and culture
firsthand.
Seven years
later, in late 2015, I was trying to decide where I should go to graduate
school. I looked at schools in the US and Canada, but nothing really stood out
to me. I decided to begin working on some applications anyway. Then one day I
came across some information about KGSP online. Right away, I thought it had to
be an opportunity ordained by God just for me. I contacted The Bahamas’
Ministry of Foreign affairs that very day to get more information. The deadline for applications had already
passed; however, I had faith that this was it for me. So, I stopped all my
other applications and decided to wait.
I am a very
intentional, faith-based person, and coming to Korea was something I always
knew I would do one day. I just did not know that it was a goal that would be
accomplished through the great opportunity that is KGSP. Still, when the
opportunity arose, I knew better than to let it pass me by.
What do you think what was the reason to
accept you as a KGSP scholar? (This question is for sharing some good life
principles to other students)
I always say
that life is about balance. I think it was the same for this scholarship. From
what I could tell via our social media groups, the majority of people who apply
to KGSP are all pretty academically brilliant in their own right. So, I don’t
think academic background plays as heavy a role as some might think – at least
not in the beginning. At the end of the day, I think it boils down to the
applicants’ ability to sell themselves and make people believe that they are
deeply passionate about something that matters. It also definitely does not
hurt to have an interest in Korean language and culture or, at least, the
global community. I think that I was somehow able to strike a balance between
the two. More than that though, I think I managed to convey my sincerity to the
selection committees, and that sincerity probably went a long way.
What would you like to say to Vanessa who
will be graduating two years later?
Thank you for
not giving up. Thank you for showing some little boy or girl in a small country
on the other side of the world that no dream is too big. It is time now to move
a bigger mountain. I hope you can now put all your skills and experience to use
to make a tangible difference in your own community, your own country – and
later, the world. Don’t just live a life, leave a legacy!
Do you have any book written by your
country writer to recommend? Besides you are asked to recommend, what is the
reason to recommend this book?
Nothing comes to
mind. Most Bahamian print publications that aren’t for educational use are
written in the Bahamian vernacular and cultural context, so I would be
hard-pressed to recommend something that is both inspirational or moving, but
also something a non-Bahamian would understand.
If you describe KGSP student life in
Busan in 5 words, what would be those 5 words?
It’s what you
make it.
What
did you enjoy/or suffer most living in Busan?
While living in
Busan, the hardest thing for me was deciding what to eat each day. But even though I missed the Bahamian home
cooking, there was another type of home to be found here. More than anything, I
enjoyed the easy-going relationship between our KGSP friends and teachers. I
think we were all able to grow and manage this experience because of each
other. It was the small things like candy canes on your door on Christmas
morning, meetings at the water fountain, and elevator doors held open. In the
end, it all made for a warm, memorable year.
Question for only Vanessa
Vanessa,
I saw you decorating notebooks and singing songs. Why do you like to decorate
the notebooks? Is it possible to share some pages of your notebook with us? Can
you recommend us your favorite song, please?
I love the way great music can move a person
– the way it can heal you. Music means a
lot of different things to different people. It also affects you differently at
different times in your life – or even in your day. So, although I would like
to recommend my favorite song to you, it actually doesn’t exist. It may be a
cliché answer, but it’s really true that my favorite song changes depending on
where I’m at in that moment.
(What you all probably saw me decorating here was my personal
schedule/bullet journal, so there’s not much of a story or anything I can
share; but maybe I can share something from my scrapbook.)
My grandparents had this tiny room in
their house that we used to call ‘the office’.
It was really more of a storage room than anything else. There were
raincoats hanging on the walls, Christmas decorations in one corner, and, among
other things, a small shelf filled with odds and ends. Near the shelf lay a bag
filled with old obituaries. A very curious child, I would go in ‘the office’
and sit on my grandfathers red toolbox and read the stories of people before my
time. If I got bored doing that, I would look through the old junk in there,
trying to find hints of the past and the lives my grandparents lived when they
were my age. I thought that if I ever had grandchildren, I would want to share
that part of me with them.
That’s how I started what’s basically
scrapbooking. I’ve had many such books over the years, filled with quotes, song
lyrics, journal entries and the like. I think it’s a good way to look back at
the memories I’m making now. Time goes by so fast, and it’s easy to overlook
the passing moments that bring us joy. When I see reminders of those things, I
smile again. Below are a few KGSP-related memories.


Comments
Post a Comment